Joseph Earp is currently serving at Limestone College (Gaffney, South Carolina) as Assistant Director of Bands. Prior to Limestone, Mr. Earp severd as Director of Bands at Cox Mill High School (Concord, North Carolina) from 2009-2017 as the founding band director.
The “Spirit of Cox Mill” Band program has earned many superior ratings and awards. Some of the major accomplishments of the Cox Mill program under Mr. Earp’s baton include:
- Symphonic band’s first grade six superior and appearance during the 3rd year of the school’s opening.
- Marching band earning its’ first grand champion in the 2nd year of the program.
- Marching band appearing in a nationally televised commercial for SHOWTIME for the hit series HOMELAND.
- Marching band competing in its‘ first Bands of America Super Regional (2013).
- Symphonic band performing for the 2013 North Carolina Music Educators State Conference.
- Competing with the marching band, symphonic band, concert band, jazz band, percussion ensemble and winter guard in Disney World’s Festival Disney (2011, 2015 and 2017).
- Earning top placements and ratings and sweeping the areas of concert band, jazz band and percussion ensemble at the Williamsburg, Virginia – Music in the Parks (2013).
- Earning consistent superior ratings with all of the concert, jazz and percussion ensembles at the Carowinds Festival of Music (numerous years).
- The spring of 2016 marked the first superior rating earned from the Cox Mill Wind Ensemble at the masterwork level with their performance of Percy Grainger’s Lincolnshire Posy.
Mr. Earp has also taught at Robbinsville Middle and High Schools (North Carolina), Seneca High School (South Carolina) and Explore! beyond school (North Carolina). As an active composer, he has been commissioned on several occasions, including band works for middle and high school ensembles, honor bands and brass choir. Some of the commissions of Mr. Earp’s work have come from Blair Smith (Coastal Fanfare, Mustangs Rebel the Knight of Wolves and Stone Mountain Fanfare), Dave Silden (The Nobles of Queen City), Kevin Townsend (WE ARE BRAVE! – Concert March) and Steve Petrucci (Among the Vikings and the Cast Iron Sixth). In addition to composition, he has arranged many works for marching band and small ensembles.
He earned his Master of Music in Music Education from Anderson University (South Carolina – 2017). Mr. Earp also earned his undergraduate degree in Music Education from U. N. C. Charlotte (North Carolina - 2006). During his time at U. N. C. Charlotte he studied trombone with Dr. Royce Lumpkin and conducting with Dr. Laurence Marks. In 2009, he was awarded the U. N. C. Charlotte Alumni Achievement Award. Mr. Earp’s “Robinson Suite” was the winner of the 2010 Claude T. Smith Composition Contest sponsored by Phi Beta Mu (Lambda Chapter). In the fall of 2012, Mr. Earp received the Cox Mill High School Academic Booster Outstanding Teacher Award. Later during 2012, Robinson Suite was published by BKJ Publications. In 2014, he received the Loving Lenoir Award (City of Lenoir, North Carolina) for continuing to honor the historical importance of the famous Lenoir High School Band. He served on the South-Central District Bandmasters Association executive board from 2015-2017 as high school member at large. During the fall of 2017, Mr. Earp signed a contract for publication of his concert band composition by RWS Music Company (Robert W. Smith, President and CEO) distributed by C. L. Barnhouse.
Mr. Earp is a proud member of NAfME, NCMEA, North Carolina Bandmasters Association, South Carolina Bandmasters Association, National Band Association, College Band Directors National Association and ASCAP. He is also an active clinician, adjudicator and commissioned composer.
Joseph resides in Concord, North Carolina with his wife, Mary Beth, and sons, Jackson and Jasper.
- Assistant Director of Bands
- Marching Saints Co-Director
- Director of Recruitment - Music