TRAVEL ABROAD: HAWAI’I 2018
Saints & Warriors:
A Concert of Remembrance – 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor
December 11 – 18, 2018
A trip of a lifetime, the Bands at Limestone College invite YOU to participate as a member of the combined ensemble in Hawai’i to honor and remember the brave men and women of Pearl Harbor who sacrificed so much for our freedom.
In conjunction with Dr. Gabriel Arnold, Associate Director of Bands at The University of Hawai’i at Mãnoa, the traveling musicians will combine with members of the University of Hawai’i symphonic ensembles to form an extraordinary performance event. This unique opportunity was primarily created to enhance the educational experiences of our Limestone College musicians, but we invite everyone - future & current students, faculty, alumni, family, and friends – to come and experience this awesome adventure together.
Dr. Patrick K. Carney, Director of Bands at Limestone College, in partnership with Dr. Gabriel Arnold at the University of Hawai’i, have created this event in tandem with Mr. David Millwood and Hawai’i State Tours. Their locally trained staff will guide us from the airport through our trip, showing us around the islands they call home. The exceptional folks at Hawai’i State Tours have created an itinerary full of exploration and history, enjoyment and music to satisfy ALL who participate in our voyage.
Dr. Carney would like to recognize the administration at Limestone College, especially Dr. Walt Griffin, President of Limestone College, and Dr. Karen Gainey, Vice President of Academic Affairs, along with Dr. Gena Poovey, Chair of the Department of Music, for understanding, supporting, and believing in this event. By approving this event, our administration acknowledges the value of and need for music education in our great country. Music is one of our Seven Branches of Learning, as forged into the center of campus at Limestone College, and with their continued support, will forever remain one of our most valued programs.
Dr. Carney would also like to thank Chelsie Arashiro, Chairman of the Pearl Harbor Performance Committee, who invited us to represent the state of South Carolina during a “Remember the Heroes” Spotlight performance series. The performance objective is to honor the heroes and survivors of Pearl Harbor and World War II, to pay tribute to veterans, active duty military members and military families, to celebrate freedom and to keep in remembrance the infamous events of Dec. 7, 1941. For a trip of a lifetime, complete a COMMITMENT FORM today!
Dr. Gabriel Arnold, Associate Director of Bands and Assistant Professor of Music at The University of Hawai’i at Mãnoa.
Dr. Patrick K. Carney, Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music Education at Limestone College in Gaffney, South Carolina
DR. GABRIEL ARNOLD received his Bachelor, Masters, and Doctoral degrees in music education from Florida State University. Before receiving his undergraduate degree at FSU, Dr. Arnold served four years in the United States Marine Corps where he played tuba with the Quantico, Virginia, and Okinawa, Japan, Marine Bands. He also achieved the rank of sergeant and served as band leader and supply noncommissioned officer. During his undergraduate years at FSU, he performed with the Marching Chiefs where he was awarded rookie of the year, tuba section leader, head drum major, and Manley Whitcomb Scholarship winner.
Dr. Arnold has served as director of bands at Pebblebrook High School, Osborne High School, and assistant director of bands at Southwest Dekalb High School, all in Georgia. Under his direction, the bands consistently performed superior ratings at concert and marching band festivals. He has also won outstanding teaching awards and presented at the Cobb County District-wide music teacher conference. Recently, Dr. Arnold presented Effective Band Director Techniques for teaching in Title I Schools at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago, Illinois. He has also published articles for the Florida Music Director, Smart Music Blog, and Music for All Newsletter.
Dr. Arnold is a member of Kappa Kappa Psi, Phi Mu Alpha fraternities, Georgia Music Educators Association, Florida Music Educators Association, Florida Bandmasters Association, National Association for Music Educators, College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA), and serves on the CBDNA Programs of Excellence Subcommittee.
DR. PATRICK K. CARNEY serves as the Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music Education at Limestone College in Gaffney, South Carolina. As Director of Bands, he is the director of the Wind Ensemble, The Marching Saints, and various chamber ensembles. He teaches conducting and the music education curriculum for all music education majors.
An active guest conductor, clinician, and adjudicator, Dr. Carney has served in these capacities throughout the United States and Southeast Asia. He has conducted wind bands nationally in California, Florida, Georgia, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, and Virginia; and internationally in Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
His publications have appeared in Research Perspectives in Music Education, Florida Music Director, The Instrumentalist, and the Missouri Journal of Research in Music Education. Dr. Carney has presented his research at conferences for College Band Directors National Association, National Band Association, National Association of Music Educators, the Florida Music Educators Association, the Georgia Music Educators Association, South Carolina Music Educators Association and Tennessee Music Educators Association.
Dr. Carney is an active member of CBDNA and NAfME including the South Carolina Music Educators Association, the Florida Music Educators Association and the South Carolina Band Directors Association. He has served as State Chair (Montana) for the National Association of Bands. He has served as Co-Governor of the Western and Midwest Districts of Kappa Kappa Psi. He is an honorary of Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, and a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. He currently serves as on the SCMEA Board as Advisor for the South Carolina Collegiate Chapter of NAfME and as an active member of the Small Program Committee for CBDNA.
Arrival: Tuesday 12/11/18 Departure: Tuesday 12/18/18
The purpose of this opportunity of a lifetime is to offer a chance for Limestone College’s past, present, and future students to perform abroad honoring one of America’s most tragic and symbolic moments in our history: Pearl Harbor. This week-long adventure is filled with opportunities to grow musically, emotionally, spiritually, and substantially as citizens of the world. Below are the opportunities that await you! For a trip of a lifetime, complete a COMMITMENT FORM today!
*Itinerary subject to change, but notice will be given in advance
Optional Activities will be offered at an additional cost such as:
• Jet Ski • Parasailing • Helicopter Tours •
• Surfing Lessons • Stand Up Paddle Board Lessons • and more!
DATES: December 11th, 2018 – December 18th, 2018
COSTS: Due to the unique opportunity offered by The Bands at Limestone College, in conjunction with the University of Hawai’i at Manoa and Hawaii State Tours, the cost is based on a minimum of 10 persons traveling*.
Initial Deposit: $250.00 per person
August 11th, 2018 or after: $1,000.00 per person in addition to deposit
October 11th 2018: Complete Balance Due
Complete Air, Hotel & Ground Package Prices are per person as follows:
Quad Occupancy: $2600
Triple Occupancy: $2800
Double Occupancy: $3099
Single Occupancy: $4100
REASONING: This price-point allows for a variance of persons to join in the traveling party throughout the designated calendar of necessary deposits to ensure persons have committed to traveling to Hawai’i for a trip of a lifetime!
*Everyone will be responsible for airline baggage fees. Current fees average $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second bag. These fees will be charged on the way to Hawaii and on the return trip. Carry-on bags are currently still free.
*Minimum account balances must be kept or you may be dropped from the trip. If at any time this becomes a problem, please make sure you contact Dr. Patrick K. Carney, Director of Bands at Limestone College @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 864.488.4508 to advise of the situation or make alternate arrangements. We can work with many issues if we know in advance! For a trip of a lifetime, complete a COMMITMENT FORM today!
- WHO can go?
- As stated earlier, the purpose of this opportunity of a lifetime is to offer a chance for Limestone College’s past, present, and future students to perform abroad honoring one of America’s most tragic and symbolic moments in our history: Pearl Harbor.
- However, anyone can travel as a guest of Limestone College, so long as each person traveling adheres to the procedures and policies as outlined by Limestone College and Hawaii State Tours.
- All travelers must be in good health physically and mentally and be of sound character and must agree to meet all financial deadlines.
- Furthermore, Dr. Patrick K. Carney reserves the right to deny anyone travel, to or from Hawai’i, as a member of our group. If circumstances arise that Dr. Carney denies travel, there will be no reimbursements nor assistance with travel arrangements.
- WHEN do I have to pay?
- Everyone traveling must complete the Hawaii Trip Commitment form and submit it with a non-refundable deposit of $250.00.
- By, or after, August 11, 2018, travelers must pay $1,000.00 in addition to the $250.00 non-refundable deposit.
- A completed commitment form, the $250.00 non-refundable deposit, and total balance must be paid in full by October 11th, 2018. The total balance is based on room occupancy.
- Payments may be made at any time and in any amount, but every effort should be made to keep payments up to date. All trip balances must be paid in full by October 11th 2018!
- CHECKS should be made out to who?
- Checks should be made payable to Limestone College Hawai’i 2018.
- All monies will be deposited into the Limestone College Hawai’i 2018 trip account and individual accounts will be tracked.
- WHERE can I make payments?
- Payments may be brought to Dr. Carney’s Office (Limestone College, Carroll Building, Room 202) during office hours, or mailed to:
- Travel Abroad: Hawai’i 2018
- ATTN: Dr. Patrick K. Carney
- Limestone College
- 1115 College Drive
- Gaffney, SC 29340
PRICING & FUND-RAISING FAQs
- WHAT is current occupancy pricing?
- Quad Occupancy $2600
- Triple Occupancy $2800
- Double Occupancy $3099
- Single Occupancy $4100
- The current package price is based on expected airline prices. Hawaii State Tours reserves the right to increase the package price in the event that the airlines add a fuel surcharge or increase the price of plane tickets beyond the price currently budgeted.
- WHEN are Fund-Raising opportunities available?
- There will be numerous opportunities for fund-raise money for their trip between now and October 11th 2018. All money earned through fundraising efforts is non-refundable. Please contact Dr. Patrick K. Carney for more information (843-488-4508 or email@example.com) regarding potential opportunities.
- Announcements will be made when opportunities arise!
- WHAT are the FEES that I should be aware of?
- Everyone will be responsible for airline baggage fees. Current fees average $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second bag. These fees will be charged on the way to Hawaii and on the return trip. Carry-on bags are currently still free.
- If you are a student at Limestone College at the time of our trip, all of your outstanding fees must be paid in full to Limestone College on or before October 11th 2018 for students to be eligible to travel to Hawaii.
- Hotel Portage & Baggage Handling / All Applicable Taxes
- $1,000,000 Liability Insurance Coverage is the contract with Hawaii State Tours. If you desire more insurance, please handle through your own insurance company.
TRAVELING PERFORMERS vs. GUESTS FAQs
- WHO has to follow the itinerary?
- All PERFORMERS must follow the itinerary, especially the rehearsals and performance.
- When participating in designated events, GUESTS must follow the posted schedule and the dictates of the Director of Bands.
- All GUESTS are encouraged to follow the itinerary, but may deviate to personal excursions during rehearsals. Any GUEST who does not follow the itinerary will be responsible for their own transportation, meals, and all other costs during that time. GUESTS will not be reimbursed for any event in which they do not participate.
- WHAT is the policy if I need to cancel?
- In the event that you need to withdraw from the trip you MUST notify the director in writing.
- Cancellations prior to August 11th, 2018 will not be refunded their deposit. Any other monies accumulated towards an individual’s travel fund will be refunded unless earned by fund-raiser. PLEASE be certain to keep receipts from all deposits. Monies unable to be proven as “fund-raiser money” or “personal deposits” will not be reimbursed.
- Any cancellations on or after August 11th, 2018 will not be refunded.
- The cancellation/refund policy on the Hawaii Trip Commitment form will be followed which states, “All cancellations will be responsible for any charges imposed by airline or suppliers at the time of cancellation. After the initial deposit, any cancellation exceeding 10% of the initial reservation will be charged a minimum of $50.00 per person administrative fee plus any charges imposed by hotels and other suppliers at the time of cancellation.”
- The date of the written notification will be used to determine any refund/cancellation fee.
- The cancellation policy is based upon no more than 10% of the total group registered canceling. (For every 10 people = 1 person maximum allowed to cancel, etc...)
TRIP INCLUSIONS FAQs
- WHAT will be included on our trip?
- Round Trip Airfare to Honolulu, Hawaii (departing from Charlotte, NC)
- Seven (7) Nights in the Hyatt Place Hotel
- Daily Buffet Breakfast
- Total Meals: Seven (7) Breakfasts, Two (2) Dinners
- Authentic Hawaiian Luau – Germaine’s Luau
- Traditional Fresh Flower Lei Greeting
- Aloha Welcome Orientation Briefing and Dinner
- Pearl Harbor's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial and U.S.S. Bowfin Submarine Tour
- Kepoikai Catamaran Sailing Tour
- Transportation on the Islands provided by Deluxe Air-Conditioned Vehicle(s)
- Transportation to Rehearsals at University of Hawaii - Manoa
- Pearl Harbor “Remember the Heroes” Concert Performance
- Fresh Flower Wreath and Trophy Presentation
- Honolulu Highlight’s City Tour
- Diamond Head Crater Hike
- Barefoot Beach Catamaran Sail
- North Shore Central Oahu Tour – Stop in Haleiwa Town
- Full-Time Local Tour Director(s)
- 24/7 Local Emergency Support
Optional Activities will be offered at an additional cost such as:
• Jet Ski • Parasailing • Helicopter Tours •
• Surfing Lessons • Stand Up Paddle Board Lessons • and more! •
For a trip of a lifetime, complete a COMMITMENT FORM today!